BIA (Impedance) Scales

I have owned a BIA scale (Renpho model) for a few years, only downloaded the app and started using the BMI stuff during my diet. I also purchased an Omron version based on a study that compared several BIA scales, including the Renpho.

Amazon.com: OMRON Body Composition Monitor & Scale – Track Skeletal Muscle Mass Loss/Gain, Weight (up to 330 pounds), Visceral Fat, BMI and More (Non-Bluetooth) : Health & Household

In the beginning, I was not a huge fan of these scales as far as being accurate, though it was fun watching the trends.

I have certainly changed my tune.

After futher research and my own testing, when used correctly a good BIA scale will probably give you as accurate an estimate of BF% as probably any other "single" method in use today. The good ones are better than we gave them credit for.

This paper details how laboratories and clinical studies get the best estimates of body composition. Basically, they use many different measures that divide the body into more pieces. DXA is not the gold standard that you are often led to believe, and I have seen too many DXA scans that are off. Clinical studies generally use the 4C model, which uses multiple methods and DXA is just one of the methods.

Body composition techniques - PMC

My BIA scale has been I would say within 3% of my true BF. I didn't believe that at first because I started at 255 lbs and was following my BMI. When I got closer to normal weight, my BIA scale was indicating my BF% was already normal, but I didn't believe it. It was only when I looked at picture charts and used the Navy method that I realized I had progressed a lot further BF% wise than my BMI suggested. Looking at studies that compare BMI to BF% I realize now that men who exercise and lift will have a BMI of 25 and a BF% of 18%.

Thus, my BIA scale was actually right all along. As well is the second scale.

My point here is that these scales are as accurate as any other single method, including DXA or InBody (which is also BIA) for most people when used correctly. You should weigh yourself some time after lunch when you are normally hydrated. Not right after a two hour workout.:) You can weigh yourself after your workout, but for BIA stuff, do it an hour or so after lunch, the same time, everyday.

I honestly think now that you would be wasting money on multiple DXA or InBody scans because you will probably not get any more accuracy or reliability than you would from a good and properly used BIA scale combined with picture charts on the internet and the Navy method. And the other two methods are just to add more confirmation to the BIA scale results.

submitted by /u/Infamous-Pilot5932
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/Sey6Po4

No comments:

Post a Comment

BIA (Impedance) Scales

I have owned a BIA scale (Renpho model) for a few years, only downloaded the app and started using the BMI stuff during my diet. I also pur...