How to incorporate weight training/ muscle growth with a weight restriction?

I have a heart condition and so I can’t lift over 40lbs, including push ups/pull ups, due to the increase in blood pressure when you weight lift. I used to be an athlete so this has taken a toll on me mentally and physically.

Yes I know I need to ask my doctor first and I have. They always say “just don’t lift over 40lbs”. But I don’t think they realize how little that actually is when lifting. I technically can’t even lift a squat bar by itself as most are 40-50lbs.

I have lost a LOT of upper body strength so I will be starting at square one but even with that, lifting 10-20lbs is what I have the strength to lift depending on what movement I’m doing. So I’m already almost half way there just to start.

Doing more reps at with smaller weight is something that is typically suggested and rn that’s realistic, but what happens when I get to my weight limit? Am I just going to end up losing my muscle because I can’t keep growing? I’m not trying to do arms for an hour just to get to that progressive over load.

I honestly do not like weight lifting and have lost 40lbs so far with just a calorie deficit and walking. I know that if I want to improve my physique that I need to start building some muscle and that I’ll burn more calories with more muscle so it’s just overall going to be good. But the fact that I have a cap on how much I can lift is giving me a major mental block because what’s the point if I’ll have to just stop? I just want nice arms and butt lol

submitted by /u/Equivalent_Roll583
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/yo25Hu8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...