1 year+ results of a new diet/exercise plan I came up with

A little over a year ago I posted about a new plan I had come up with. So far I've lost around 50 lbs and for the first year of it I tried to keep a log of my progress. The basic idea was to use a physical currency of some kind to incentivize eating better and exercise while also limiting my bad habits by putting a cost to them. I ended up with 3 bowls and a mixture of white and red (equal to 5 white beads) plastic gems/beads as my currency.

The main thing I think this process has shown me is how important it is to customize a diet to yourself. What I did probably won't work for most people, but it has been right for me and my specific life.

Bead Counting Start Date 2/18/2023

Goals

  • Setting a new base line without feeling like I'm on a diet
  • Build in failure states as part of the plan (a bad day just means I over spend on my beads)
  • Focus on changing habits more than losing weight
  • Less late night food
  • More consistent exercise
  • More healthy options for meals

Rules for earning beads

  • 15 minutes exercise = 1 bead
  • Large scale 30min+ chore = 1 bead
  • Salad (or equivalent healthy meal) for lunch or dinner = 1 bead

Rules for spending beads

  • after dinner snacks (not including fresh fruit) = 1 bead/serving
  • after dinner fresh fruit = 0 bead

Weight Measurements

  • Start weight 335
  • 3/18 weight 327
  • 4/18 weight 323
  • 5/27 weight 319
  • 7/18 weight 314

Observations

  • Phase 1 went really well and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. My appetite went down and eventually my dessert servings went from 3 or 2 at a time to 2 or 1 at a time.
  • Dessert's were almost always ice cream. It's one of the least healthy options, but also a favorite and really easy to measure out accurate servings using a food scale.
  • Toppings on the ice cream were harder to measure so I ended up eyeballing it. Probably went over a serving most the time, but not excessively so.
  • Since one of the main goals here was to not have this feel like a diet I was pretty loose on the measurements. A serving of ice cream is 95 grams, but if I put 100 grams in the bowl I was letting it slide.
  • I actively tried to not store up huge amounts of beads for this phase. I wanted this to not feel like a diet so it was important to just try and just set the baseline that I would work off of in the future.

Phase 2 starts 7/18/2023

Goals

  • Have larger goals to target to keep my mind away from the long term weight goals that can be less motivating.

Rules for earning beads

  • 15+ minutes exercise = 1 bead
  • Large scale 60min+ chore = 1 bead
  • Salad (or equivalent healthy meal) for lunch or dinner = 1 bead

Rules for spending beads

  • after dinner snacks (not including fresh fruit) = 1 bead/serving
  • after dinner fresh fruit = 0 bead
  • $100 to spend on liquor/weed/gambling = 25 beads

Weight Measurements

  • Phase 2 Start weight 314
  • 7/28 weight 308 - hit 25 beads
  • 8/11 weight 303 - hit 25 beads
  • 8/28 weight 299 - hit 25 beads
  • 9/15 weight 295 - hit 25 beads
  • 11/10 weight 289 - hit 25 beads
  • 1/4 weight 295 - after holidays
  • 1/18 weight 291 - hit 25 beads

Observations

  • I ended up adding a third bowl to work as a kind of savings account so that it was easier to keep track of my current day. Every evening before bed I move the beads from the current day to the savings bowl. I also added red beads that count for 5 of the other beads.
  • Weight loss slowed down a huge amount, but there was no rebound weight gain and I had no real desire to stop this diet structure.
  • I have got on a pattern of salads for lunch every day of the week and for dinner Mon-Thur. Fri-Sun I have a larger dinner and ice cream in the evening.
  • I find myself looking forward to those Friday dinners a bit more and putting a bit more effort into them.
  • I'm still having ice cream once or twice during the week, but I try to keep it to smaller portions.
  • I've maintained my exercise each day.

Current Phase

I've stopped recording my weights, but I'm currently down to 284 pounds. I had a vacation in March where I didn't exercise or limit my meals in any way and ended up gaining 6 pounds.

Recently I bought a vr headset and that has given me an excuse for additional exercise each day. Before that all I was doing was using a stationary bike, so the variety has been very helpful.

I only eat ice cream Fri-Sun now and my stomach is noticeably smaller. I get fuller easier and if I eat the amount I was eating before I start to feel really bloated and get sick to my stomach.

The last month or so I've ended up losing .5-1 pound per week. The great news is that this still doesn't really feel like a diet.

submitted by /u/bajesus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/mQZs7nV

No comments:

Post a Comment

My motivation isn’t there anymore.

Basically what the title implies. I don’t know what’s been going on with me I’ve done this before, CICO, fasting, cut out certain food and ...