This is such a loaded term. It's almost like it's ammo for people on every side of the aisle. Fat acceptance movements claim it for their own, and people who want to ridicule fat people use it ironically. Companies use it as a marketing gimmick. I think it's important to understand how "body positivity" can be a powerful tool.
Every single person on this sub understands that they probably need to lose weight for health reasons. Many of us have probably been fat our whole lives. We know that being morbidly obese is not healthy. We also know that morbidly obese and "curvy" are different things. There's an entire spectrum of weight levels that fall between ideal weight and near-death obese. Everyone is a little bit different and everyone's ideal weight will be a little bit different. If you carry your weight in your hips and butt, you can probably weigh a little more than someone who carries weight in their stomach, etc.
So what about body positivity? You shouldn't really be "proud" of being overweight, and you probably already know that. But...you should be proud of what your body can do. Body positivity is loving who you are and loving how much work you're capable of putting in every day to make yourself healthy. Body positivity is loving yourself when you crush a goal, even if it's a small one. It's overcoming gym anxiety, or making an appointment with a therapist or dietician to help you on your journey. There's always going to be trolls and jackasses who will make comments, but there's an army of silent people just like you who may be drawing inspiration from the work you put in every day. It doesn't matter how big you are, how much weight you have to lose, or whether or not you hit speed bumps along the way.
When I read the posts on this sub, I can almost feel the fragile psyches of the people posting. I can feel it because I'm like that too. But we're posting to find that confidence to keep going and be the best versions of ourselves that we can be. I think that's something to celebrate.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2VjmOvk
No comments:
Post a Comment