I hope I’m not breaking any rules posting this here, but I’d love some advice on a recent conversation I had.
just hours ago, I was hanging out with my friends who were all drinking heavily while I stayed sober to drive. 2 of my friends started commenting on how proud he was, and how incredible it is that I've been working hard and losing weight. 4 months ago I weighed 270lbs as a 5'9" 22yr old. I now weigh 227lbs and am still dropping.
My friends are a year below me in college, and I've known them for a couple of years now, but only really started getting closer with them this year. They shared that were obese themselves in high school, and went through the same struggles, even showing me pictures. We were having a great conversation, and they were really boosting my ego and making me feel proud. Until one of them said something that really hurt.
One of them told me that prior to working to lose weight, he had zero respect for me. He repeated this several times. He said I was unconfident, shy, and didn't respect myself at all (not wrong). And because of that he had no respect for me and looked down on me.
That really hurt to hear him say that to me.
He knows how hard I've worked in college. He knows how hard I worked at my job, spending 30 hours a week on top of school and have been able to achieve some truly incredible things at work through my efforts. He knows I'm a good, kindhearted person. He knew all of this, but because I was fat, and not working to improve myself then, he had "absolutely no respect" for me.
He was extremely drunk, and I know that if he was sober, he definitly would not have phrased his comments the way he did. But he did say it, and it honestly really hurt my feelings to know that just 4 months ago, regardless of my work ethic or personality, he had no respect for me because I was fat and not actively trying to change that.
I don't know if I should talk to him about it and let him know how I felt hearing that, or just forget about it since he was so drunk, and I know he would have said what he said in a much more respectful way. I mostly typed this out to rant out my feelings, but would love some other perspectives.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2IuIcLm
No comments:
Post a Comment