I joined a gym today.

[Long post, on mobile, sorry in advance]

I want to thank everyone because reading through comments on posts on here has been one of the most encouraging things to get me to this point.

Quick back story

I’ve had quite the journey with weight. Most of my young life I was obese. I (5’8 F26) was around 215 pounds my senior year of high school. After I graduated, I became ill for around 9 months and by the end of my freshman year of college I was 100 pounds. It was really hard for me gain weight at first (and I needed to). I finally started to... and just never really stopped. A year ago I went from an on my feet running around all the time retail job to a desk job. I’m approaching 180 now and have been pretty depressed about my weight gain over the years. I’ve gone in and out of healthy eating habits, occasional yoga at home... but I never took the leap at a real lifestyle change.

But today, I joined a gym. Online. Because it seemed less awkward than doing it in person. I ran around all day, went grocery shopping and got all healthy food. Then at 8PM, I went to the gym. It was weird how approaching it I felt both excited and a bit nervous (I have gym anxiety, I don’t like exercising in front of people). I immediately realized I really had no idea how most of the machines work. I hopped on a treadmill and did intervals of jogging and walking for a mile. I hopped off and walked around looking for a different machine, probably looking really lost. I re-filled my water bottle and hopped back on a treadmill. I jog/walked again, at an incline, for another mile. I hit cool down and felt the machine slowing down minute by minute and realized I wasn’t done. I turned the pace back up and briskly walked another mile.

I had some of your words in my head. Advice like “just go to the gym, it’s ok if it’s not a hard core workout at first. Just go routinely and get yourself used it”. I told myself when I tiredly approached the end of that third mile “it’s ok if this is all you do tonight because you will come back tomorrow and then you can try again”.

This is honestly the most positive I’ve felt about a real lifestyle change in years. Thanks for the encouragement kind strangers, I plan to keep it up. Also thank you if you made it to the end of this post!

submitted by /u/luckylua
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2F7nIaL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...