Parent of overweight teen needs your suggestions.

I have four kids, one of them is significantly overweight. For her entire life, she's been on the "solid" side, but once she hit puberty, she ballooned. I need your help in the best way to say, "Okay, you're 16 now, and I love you and I want you to be healthy, and being 250 pounds is not healthy."

I realize that we probably should have done something about this a few years ago, but I've tried to follow the "don't make a big deal" approach and it has not worked.

She is unfortunately quite short and has inherited some short-big genes. Even worse, her three sisters are naturally thin (including one who wears a XS everything) and they are all taller. She also is seriously depressed and I have no idea where the cause and effect is between these two things. Her mental health does improve when she exercises, but lately I can't even get her to go for a walk. She does work two days a week at a physically demanding job and I don't know how she manages.

I recognize that there is no "right" way to approach this, and that even the best attempts may backfire because there are so many things at play. But I have to do SOMETHING.

Note: we eat *fairly* healthy as a family, but she does a lot of emotional eating (including midnight baking) and I think she makes very poor choices when she's out with her few friends.

Thank you for any kind suggestions. My heart is breaking over this. I'm facing the 50s, with their focus on keeping my blood pressure normal and my cholesterol normal and my blood sugar normal (all successful so far, but never not a question) and I don't want my beloved child to deal with these issues at 30.

submitted by /u/Lapstone
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2DU5fgg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...