Literally half the man I used to be (500 lbs to 250 lbs)

Pictures in boxers since I know that's what people look for https://imgur.com/a/XY3FT3M

I posted a few months ago but at a great checkpoint so wanted to post again. So if some of this is familiar, that's why haha.

I've been big as long as I can remember. I have seen pictures of me as a small child where I was normal sized but as far back as I remember I was always made fun of for being fat. In high school I remember thinking I was at least 300 pounds but never really weighed myself and hated gong to the doctor. I felt like every time I went to the doctor it was "well if you lost weight then X wouldn't happen!" I got up to over 500 pounds. Not really sure exactly when but the how is mass amounts of fast food. Two large pizzas plus cheesesticks all for me, family size orders from any fast food place and half the time ordering an extra drink or two so they didn't know it was all for me. I'm so sneaky.

I've tried to lose weight many times. I've done calorie counting a lot but didn't see the results I wanted so ditched it. Saw 'good' results on the HCG diet but of course not possible to keep up and afterwards just spiraled in a deep depression and got it all back. At the end of all of these I wanted pizza more than I wanted to to be healthy.

What changed? It's hard to say. Two years ago I got a job to teach in Japan at 485 pounds. So a little bit down from my highest weight but not much really. I had to get two plane seats to come to Japan and Japan is NOT fat person friendly. Nor is it tall person friendly (can't change that though).

The first 8 ish months here I didn't do anything really different. I lost about 15 pounds without trying which was nice. There's a competition here on reddit called the body transformation fitness challenge. April 2017 it happened again and I always thought I could win it if I did it. I did it and.. didn't win. But during that competition (12 weeks) I lost about 65 pounds.

Since then I've kept going. I don't track calories hardcore but I keep a general run in my head each day and aim for 1700-2000 calories lately. It's a struggle since Japan isn't really great with calorie information so that's why I don't track really hard. When I go back to the US in a few months I will probably start tracking way more.

Good things I've done that helped me:

I started karate. I love my group and they're all a great bunch of people even though we don't really have a common language.

I walk a lot. I run sometimes but my foot hurts a bit lately so I'm taking it slow.

I eat badly sometimes. It annoys me a bit but at the same point in time it helps keep me a bit sane. I can't give up pizza forever.

Pictures. I take pictures every 20-30 pounds and it helps keep me focused since I still can't really see the difference in myself. I wish I would have done measurements as well but I didn't.

But not everything is great. I still crave food pretty hardcore somedays and it's a giant struggle to not eat EVERYTHING. I still have depression. I'm not one of the ones who can say that cravings or depression really changed as I lost weight. I'm still the same me, just smaller. Every day is a struggle. I stress about the food I eat and how much walking I'd have to do to work out whatever bad food I ate. I am honestly probably losing weight a little too fast but I don't really care. I'm just tired of being fat.

Overall I am pretty happy with my journey. I have messed up, I have beat myself up about it, but I keep getting on the scale every day and trying to do the best I can. It really helps me to see my daily weight so I can look for trends. I have learned about myself and have done things I could not do in the past. I have run a mile in less than 10 minutes, I have done karate in Japan, and I've signed up for a half marathon (not my first but I'll be way lighter than I was before). I try not to let the bad days get me down even though the bad days affect me way more than the good days do. I am planning on seeing a few doctors when I go back to the US to address my mental health, my changing body and the way my shoulders are not even. Can't really do that here in Japan (easily at least). I try to make the best of each day. That's all we can really do.

submitted by /u/Slovien
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2sKwbZs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...