How to lose weight in Japan (when eating out)

Disclaimer: I live in Tokyo, so this advice might not be as applicable for someone who doesn't live in a major city, although I hope some of it will help.

This is for expats like me, as well as possible holiday-goers (although, when on vacation you should have fun!). I saw a thread where a couple of them were struggling trying to lose weight here (and I totally get it). So, I made this for anyone who would like the info and I hope others can contribute as well.

Foods to avoid:

Deep fried food of any sort. Katsu, tempura, just because it's traditional doesn't mean it's healthy. I used to eat katsu once a week, now I might eat it once every few months if someone else wants to. At some point the craving just stopped.

Western foods. Pasta, pizza, bread, all of these things are far more fattening than the traditional Japanese diet. There are wonderful yummy bakeries all over Japan, so I got around this by picking my two favorite bakeries and only ever buying bread from there when I was in the area. Now I eat bread maybe once or twice a week. One of the most popular foods, melonpan, is around 400 calories per bun. However, anpan is only 200 calories. If you can't resist, maybe get anpan for breakfast?

Ramen. A bowl of ramen is around 1000 (!) calories. Delicious as an occasional treat.

Curry. Japanese curry is just as fattening as Indian curry. 1000+ calories

Things that are great to eat:

Udon is a great substitute for pasta. There are udon and soba joints all throughout Japan. A big bowl of udon or soba is typically around 550 calories (depending on the topping). Udon has less nutrients than soba but I prefer the flavor of udon.

Yakitori, are around 80 calories a skewer (although I round up to 100). Six skewers make a very filling meal alongside some edamame!

Convenience stores have the calories written on every piece of food available and they have a lot of healthy options and salads. My favorite snack is this the sauce is yummy and it's only 150 calories.

Family restaurants, places like Saizeriya and Jonathans have the calories written on every menu item and they have healthy options that are usually less than 500 calories.

In Tokyo, the mexican chain guzman y gomez is surprisingly low-calorie if you just get the regular size (which is the kid size in Australia...)

At the top of department stores, there are a ton of restaurants and there are bound to be healthy options there. Chains such as komeraku and Soup Stock are popular and very tasty. Soup Stock is all over Japan, not just Tokyo. I often get a 350 calorie dinner from Soup Stock and it's less than 1000 yen (USD $10)

Sushi is incredibly healthy in Japan, I like to go and limit myself to 5 or 6 plates. If the options you pick are healthy (mainly just fish, no mayo or avocado which is rare here anyway) then the calories will be low.

I'm sure there's more, but that'll do for now. I hope this helps!

submitted by /u/Useitorloseit1
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2LF4WXn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...