Am I responsible for my husbands weight?

My husband blamed me yesterday for his weight gain.

He said “I’m an addict and by the way you cook and grocery shop, you make me gain weight”

While I see that it is important that I help him, be there for him and try to create an environment where he can be without constantly fighting against his demons, I feel like it’s not fair to solely blame me for his weight gain.

Before we met he was a heavy guy but lost almost all his weight at the point we met. At the point we met I was rapidly gaining weight. About a year in our relationship he told me that he wasn’t attracted to me anymore. I realised that I myself didn’t were attracted to me anymore so I lost weight. I lost about 20kg and stayed at my weight for 4 years.

After the birth of our first, I had difficulties getting back to my pre pregnancy weight but not by much (+2kg)

I’m currently pregnant with our second and I had really bad nausea this time around, I lost about 5kg and was able to only stomach “bad” foods. Because I felt so bad I was too lazy to cook the super duper healthy meals I cooked before. I started making easier meals for my daughter and my husband kinda had to go along.

He does not cook. He is a serial snacker and mindless eater. Even when I cooked very healthy, he ate enormous portions.

Now there is more calorie dense and processed food in the house, I can see how it is very easy for someone like him to gain weight.

But I don’t know what to do. I’m trying to go back to cooking healthy for every meal but pregnant with a toddler and having to handle the housework and my job (even though I work from home), I often simply don’t have the energy to put in.

I tried meal prepping so he could grab something healthy and be done with it. But when I do a dozen savoury muffins, which are meant to hold for a week, they are gone in 2 days.

If I cook larger portions so there could be leftovers eaten as a small meal, he leaves them in the fridge an instead eats four half hard boiled eggs with a heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise for each half.

Yes I see how he is packing on the pounds and I see what role I play in it, but it feels a bit unfair to blame it solely on me.

It feels like he does not take any responsibility for his eating.

I’m really sad about that. I told him how I feel about it but he said “I’m an addict and can’t control myself”

Does that mean that I have to? I’m not his mother, I’m his wife. And I love him dearly. I want him to be happy and healthy but this is weighing on me.

I’m sorry this got so long. I really don’t know what I can do to make this situation better.

If you have any ideas I would be very thankful if you shared them with me!

submitted by /u/sleeplessinhogwarts
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2XRhJ2H

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...