SV: Today marked the first time since I can remember that my BMI has fallen below 30

In the eyes of the all-powerful BMI gods, I am no longer considered obese. And I feel bloody incredible!!

I have been obese since puberty, with on and off dieting since I was about 13 years old. At 16, I began to restrict to an unhealthy level, eating less than 700kcals a day and feeling horrible about myself. Ultimately, it was futile and I piled all the weight back on through binging. I reached my highest weight, 220lbs, when I was just 18.

Since then, simple and healthy CICO has been my go-to. Around 1500kcals a day works perfectly for me as long as I supplement it with a tiny bit of excercise (although I'm definitely not pumping iron at the gym quite yet). Still, even as weight began to ever so slowly drop off, I struggled to find the willpower to keep going.

Hanging out on subreddits like this is one of the key factors in my motivation. And today, at 175lbs, my BMI has finally fallen below 30. This is my biggest milestone yet and I wanted to share it with all of you people who have helped me so much so far.

I'm not stopping here and I hope that in a few months time, you'll all see a post from me on this subreddit as I finally enter the healthy weight category. I'm over the moon!!

Some of the ways I've managed this:

- CICO, as previously stated, at about 1500kcals a day with light exercise like walking

- Used to use MyFitnessPal but have started using LifeSum for the last few months for calorie tracking. The interface is just really nice and simple. Am considering paying for premium as it gives great meal suggestions tailored to your diet.

- A reduction of carbs; I'm not following a Keto diet but wanted to remove some excess carbs to help with my general health. Lots of small changes like wholewheat bread and pasta (because I can't just let those go!!)

- I'm also vegetarian and have been trying to work towards veganism (more moral reasons than health but I think the two aren't mutually exclusive). Therefore, way less cheese and oat milk instead of regular. Still love scrambled eggs for breakfast though...

- Unfollowing certain accounts on social media. I hate to admit but when I was 16, I followed a ton of really vile anti-fat accounts to try and shame myself into not eating. Unfollowing them was a big step. I want to focus on health and nutrition and not damage my mental health by subjecting myself to online abuse.

- Taking progress pics!! Following r/progresspics for other people's was also key

- Occasional cheat meals, a Chinese buffet here, a McDonalds lunch there; I've learnt over the last several months that one McDonalds will not defeat you!!

Good luck to you all!!

submitted by /u/picknmixing
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2H8WwrF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...