Hunger fades into remission after a while?

I started losing weight at about 21% body fat. I wanted to get down to 12%, maybe even less if I could tolerate it. At first I did indeed experience hunger going from 3,700 calories a day down to 2,400, carefully measured.

Now, 6 weeks in, I no longer feel as hungry. The feeling is there but it's quite gentle and somewhat easy to ignore now at 2,000 calories. Especially if I gorge myself with water.

Does hunger sort of fade away after a few weeks of dieting?

Fasting, hunger and ghrelin

As we discussed last week, eating all the time sounds like it will turn off hunger and ghrelin. But that’s far too simplistic. Surprisingly, the answer is the opposite – fasting.

Let’s look at this study “Spontaneous 24-h ghrelin secretion pattern in fasting subjects“. Patients undertook a 33-hour fast, and ghrelin was measured every 20 minutes. Here’s what ghrelin levels look like over time.

There are several things to notice. First, ghrelin levels are lowest at approximately 9:00 in the morning. This corresponds to the measures of the circadian rhythm which find consistently that hunger is lowest first thing in the morning. Recall that this is also generally the longest period of the day where you have not eaten.

submitted by /u/fpuen
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Qc648a

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...