When I returned home from visiting my family over this past New Years, I took a look at the pictures my family posted on Facebook and just felt embarrassed looking at pictures of myself. I was tired of always being tired.
After spending my entire life obese, and getting up to 270lbs as a 5’9” 22yr old. I finally decided I was done being obese. I wouldn’t half heartedly try a diet and fall off it. I wouldn’t workout for just a week and then quit at any excuse. I wouldn’t drink at least 6 beers a night and drunkenly eat everything I owned. I got serious.
And It was really, really, really, hard. Changing the way I ate after 22 years of terrible eating habits was extremely difficult. I was raised in a fat family. My parents were obese or morbidly obese themselves, and my mother even had gastric bypass, lost over a hundred pounds, and then regained it all by overeating and no exercise. Even as an elementary school kid, I was given plates of food as big as my fathers plate, and expected to eat it all because my parents were expected to eat everything on their plate as a child. I was raised to think that being full, meant being stuffed to the point of being unable to eat anymore. I didn’t even realize until college that that mentality on food was wrong.
I look at pictures of myself as a child in elementary school, and I can’t help becoming angry towards my parents. They should have known better. They should have taught me about food better. I shouldn’t have been morbidly obese in elementary school. But now there is nobody to blame but myself. It’s all on me now. And I’m finally making the changes necessary to live a healthier life.
My best friend lost 20 pounds on keto and told me all about it. I listened to his advice and did a ton of research and got started on keto. It was the perfect first step for me. I ate as much meat and cheese and keto foods as I wanted, and all those fatty foods really helped me feel fuller on less food. Over the course of 2 months on strict keto I began to learn much better portion control. I needed to drink so much extra water doing keto, and drinking so much water meant I was less hungry and needed less food. The food I ate was more filling by being so fat dense that I needed even less food. I don’t quite know how to describe it exactly but doing 2 months of strictly keto felt like a reset on how I thought about food.
I lost 30lbs from the beginning of January to March doing strict keto, and an additional 13 lbs since March just having proper portion control. I now feel like I’m eating the way normal people eat. I don’t eat until I’m stuffed anymore, I only eat until I don’t feel hungry. I quit doing strict keto because it didn’t feel sustainable to me. Now I still avoid processed foods, sugar, and bread in all my grocery purchases. But if I’m going out to a Vietnamese Resturaunt with friends, I won’t avoid getting a bowl of pho, because I now know how much to eat until I’m full, rather than guzzling down everything out in front of me.
Since mid-March I’ve now also started going to the gym or working out at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. I don’t have a workout schedule and mix it up a lot. Some days I’ll do 30-60 min of straight cardio, sometimes 15min cardio and 20 lifting, or today which was just 5min cardio warmup and 30 min lifting.
I’ve gotten to the point where I enjoy working out. I love feeling like I can do so much more in the gym than I could just a a couple months ago. Now I can jog more than half a block before feeling like dying. Now I feel fully awake and alert when I throughout the day instead of wanting to nap in the afternoons. I want to go to the gym after work instead of laying in bed.
I’m feeling better about myself now than I have at any point I can ever remember, and I can’t wait to see and feel my changes into the future.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2P5BUTF
No comments:
Post a Comment