306-->200 lbs. Started Lifting. Need Help!

Hi everyone, so two years ago I set out on a journey to lose weight and become healthier because of a heart issue specifically. Diabetes and heart disease run in my family anyway, so that's another reason. Finally, I've been having horrible luck with relationships and subsequently my confidence is trash, so that's the last reason. Well, a little over two years has passed, and I finally lost 106 lbs, and I'm on the verge on one-derland. I can't wait to hit it, but I'm running into an "issue".

I joined a gym, and I'm focusing mostly on weight training. My skin and the remainder of my fat is so loose and floppy that I really want to fill myself out with muscle. I do not, however, want to bulk up like the hulk. I just want to be average size with my muscle and eliminate as much jello-body as I can. The part that I'm struggling with is that my weight has been the same for three weeks now. Over the past week, I've been to the gym six out of seven days. I'm mostly focusing on targeting different muscle groups each time I go, but I finish with 15-20 minutes of cardio, usually walking/jogging on a treadmill. Each trip to the gym takes anywhere from one hour to two and a half, but I'm going with buddies, so there's some standing around and talking.

I weigh myself on Mondays, and I've put on .2 lbs each Monday for the past two weeks now. I did measure my waist and, since January, I've lost 2 inches, but I've only been going to the gym for about a week now...so...I don't know. Is it just too early to see the benefits of weight training? Or am I doing something wrong?

My gym routine is something like this: I try to focus on abs, back, and legs most days with an emphasis on abs. Some days I'll work certain arm groups like biceps and deltoids for example, and on the other days, I'll work on triceps and forearm muscles a little. Then I end with walking/jogging. I go to the gym for three days straight and then rest for one.

I sometimes use free-weights, but most of the time, I'm on Planet Fitness's weight machines because I'm a noob and don't know a lot of the proper form for free weights. A buddy explained that those machines are a great starting point. On the machines, I do a pyramid weight increase where I start out at say 30 lbs, do 7-12 reps, increase the weight to 45, 7-12 reps, and then increase one more time to 60, and do the same number of reps, and then I work my way back down. That seems to get me great results (I'm always fairly sore and usually sweating by the time I'm done with those sets), but I fear that is causing me to plateau now. My goal weight now is 150, but I haven't budged from 200.2 to 200.8.

So I guess my question is this: Will I ever get to the point where I lose weight again? Or am I perpetually stuck in a "muscle building" phase? On a side note, an associate at a supplement shop recommended aminos and protein for intra- and post-workout, respectively. Is this a good idea for a beginner like me?

submitted by /u/mysticrecluse
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TNOLj8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...