Is running a "dangerous" activity for overweight/obese people?

Hello r/loseit.

I recently started running. I've posted about it here previously. I've heavily enjoyed it. I've had a little bit of soreness around my hips, mid section, and temporary soreness in my feet when I wake up.

For conext I am 212 pounds from 285, 5'4 and a 22 year old girl.

I have a friend who talked to me about running and highly advised against it stating that I needed to switch to something low impact. He said because I am overweight, I need to stop running and do low impact because I could damage ligaments, tendons, and have splinter fractures. He said I could do a lot of damage to my knees and hips if I continue because I'll "grind them away." Apparently I need walk briskly only while doing stretches and movements...

Is this true? I don't see how it could be an issue but I am a little concerned. Im not that heavy. At least not to the point that my extra weight would make exercise dangerous. He isn't exactly the figure of fitness. He's older, severe diabetes, very overweight, swims occasionally, etc. I'm taking his words with a grain of salt but figured I'd better ask here.

submitted by /u/BabyGirlR
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2SMjThr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...