49lbs down and counting! How I lost weight after a difficult year that made me gain 2 stone.

On January 19th, 2017 I was driving home from work when I stopped for traffic on a slip road. A woman rear ended me because she wasn't looking and hadn't noticed I'd stopped. I was in physiotherapy for 11 months.

A month later, my boyfriends' father passed away. We were very close, I had been living with the family for over a year by that point.

Later the same year, I quit my job because it made me miserable for reasons I won't fully elaborate on here.

2 days before my accident I weighed in at 12st 12lbs. I had been putting on weight steadily for the previous year so I knew I needed to make changes to my poor diet, but 2017 was so difficult I just kept eating. At my highest weight I was 14st 12lbs with a BMI of >33.

Last summer my grandmother, my only living grandparent, passed away after several months of health issues. It broke my heart. A few days after her funeral I decided it was time to stop making excuses for putting my health in danger.

I joined Slimming World (a UK based dieting group) in July 2018. Since then I have steadily lost weight and as of today I am down 49lbs, just 3lbs shy of my initial target of 11 stone. I'm now aiming to hit 10 stone by the summer.

My diet has largely consisted of fruits and veggies. The Slimming World plan is essentially a high carb/low fat diet. For me though it was more about keeping myself accountable, going back to the group sessions every week and staying. I've made some great friends there and now I help out with the social team every week. In my now 8 months at Slimming World I've only logged one weight gain, on Christmas Eve.

My favourite foods nowadays are pasta with passatta and mince, or lean bacon, or chicken, with a bit of cheddar grated on top (carefully measured of course!) and a home made Chinese 'takeout' recipe I found that fits in with my diet and tastes just like the real thing. We also occasionally have homemade pizzas with wholemeal dough and they're amazing! To be honest, since losing the weight there hasn't been any real desire to go back to eating bad food for me. We've found so many alternative healthy recipes for my favourites and we're eating better than we ever did before.

My typical day might look like this:

Breakfast: A slimming world cereal bar and fruit (usually mango, pineapple and melon because they're my favourites)

Lunch: Chicken in some kind of seasoning (I personally love spicy seasonings) with lots of salad including lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and sometimes carrots/spring onion/cucumber.

Dinner: Pasta with some sort of lean meat and a homemade sauce and cheese, or curry again with homemade sauce and chicken and rice (sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I'll get the extra sides they sell in the supermarket too!), or lamb/duck with boiled potatoes and cabbage.

I don't exercise much, besides walking, although I'm planning to get into weight training.

I wanted to share this because I feel like it's so easy to let bad things in life drive you to gain weight. And it's okay because you CAN still change your habits, you CAN still lose the weight and start over. I'm so happy I did. Also, it doesn't have to be a miserable life without any foods you love either! For me, it was easier to give up fats than carbs, although some people find it much easier to kick carbs. The only carbs I don't really eat are bread based as they're very high in calories, and I do sometimes miss things like sourdough or ciabatta. But I do still occasionally give myself a small treat!

I've got a picture of my Fitbit progress which I'll put in the comments below.

Thanks for reading my story!

submitted by /u/hannasolo100
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2N0neEd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...