Don't let the fear of maintaing stop you from losing

2 years ago and any day before that, I was fat. 95kg on 169cm is obese and I've been heavier (my highest was probably around 105kg when I was 18). I've never tried to lose weight as I was convinced of some fatlogic, most importantly: It's not possible to lose weight and to maintain the loss without depriving myself of all the food pleasures for the rest of my life.

​

Fast forward to today: Last time I stepped on the scale, December 7th, I weighed in at at 60.0kg. Today I'm 59.6kg. Was this a month of deprivation? No, it was a month of flying to my friend for a weekend, getting stranded at an airport and eating all the free food I was offered as compensation (dinner and breakfast buffet at the hotel, food voucher at the airport). It was a month of celebrating my birthday with waffles and raspberry cake and going out for warm cookie dough with ice cream. It was a month of celebrating Christmas with all kinds of free Christmas chocolate and cookies at work, with traditional food (read: lots and lots of cheese) at home and with my family showing love through pannetone. It was a month of celebrating New Year's with Raclette and crisps at 2am. My kitchen pantry is full of Swiss chocolate since this is what I wanted for Christmas.

​

I've been maintaining since May 5th now. In those past 8 months, I've been living my life, I started new studies, I ate out, I celebrated, I went to North America for a month long roadtrip. I stopped counting calories (to the most part - I sometimes guesstimate and I weigh out portion sizes when cooking), and started weighing myself less, and I started to love food. It became one of my greatest hobby, in a good sense. I spend more on high quality food, I bake and cook a lot, I love learning about the process of creating good dishes and the story behind ingredients, and I'm fascinated about the work, the culture and the traditions involved. I respect the ingredients.

​

I'm not living a life of deprivation. My diet made me develop a new food personality that indulges in quality instead of quantity. I'm living a life of controlled portions and of moderation - and it's not hard, it just became my new normal. I can now listen to the hunger cues of my body. The past 8 months have been extremly easy - so easy that I cannot fathom how I let the fear of THIS stop me from trying to lose weight for so, so long.

submitted by /u/ThreePenguins
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Fc3k7i

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...