As far as I'm concerned, that's the very point of a sub like this. Support in the more challenging moments.
I'm at the very beginning of this journey, only 3 pounds down (which some people have been kind enough to point out to me that this is the equivalent of taking a large shit and not progress at all. 😂 Thanks, you positive peaches, you.) I've been doing really well this week, and while for once in my life I'm not craving sugar (phew!), I'm experiencing a major craving for something I didn't even eat when I was in my bad habits: fast food.
I want McDonald's. I want Taco Bell. I want Burger King (which has a veggie burger and is available through GrubHub now, ugh). I want burgers and burritos and fries and god knows what else! Since I never used to eat this stuff even at my highest weight (I did lose 15 pounds about a year ago so I guess technically I'm 18 pounds down), clearly I only want it because now it's officially "forbidden."
There are 1.2 million of us here, I can't be the only one fighting a strong craving right now! I don't have too many tips on how to avoid cravings as food has always been my main challenge (I have no trouble exercising), but I thought we'd all come together on this beautiful Saturday, and instead of giving in to our craving, share something that we can do instead! Some of the things I've figured out work for me so far:
- Keeping my hands busy and making/sipping ginger tea with lemon. Supposedly, ginger helps curb your hunger, and the act of having my mug in my hands and sipping makes my lizard brain feel like it's still consuming something.
- For those of you craving sugar, my doctor recommended a Chromium Picolinate supplement. Apparently it supports healthy blood sugar levels and makes chocolate & sweets seem not that appetizing! I've found that after a few days, apple cider vinegar does the same thing. I used to mix a teaspoon of it with a glass of water and lemon juice.
- After I make this post, I'm going to go to the gym. Once I'm done working out, I'm going to shower there, maybe put on a face mask, make use of the sauna. It'll keep me occupied for a few hours in a place where food is not available.
- Being mindful. Slowing down, breathing, and telling my body that "in fact, we have had enough to eat for now." Understanding that I'm feeling cravings and/or hunger because of my body's well-meaning instinct to keep its protective layer of fat in case of famine. Having an inner dialogue with my body, saying "thank you for trying to keep me safe, but in fact, this weight will only hurt us." Using mindfulness as a tool to overcome my bodily instincts.
What works for you? Thanks in advance for sharing!! :)
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2ViUCde
No comments:
Post a Comment