This is a weekly thread for all runners of LoseIt. All levels are welcome. You can be just thinking about starting to run, a few weeks into C25K, training for a half-marathon, or base building for your Ultra season. The Losers here include lots of runners and are helpful and supportive - just like this sub.
This thread was started by /u/ificandoit quite a while ago. I've stepped in to continue the tradition.
Each week we check in with any progress, our current training, race reports, or ask for assistance. In addition, to reach the post size minimum I will ramble on about a topic. This week, how to run longer.
Running Longer and Farther
I think most runners outside of school/university track, run for distance endurance. In others they want to run faster for longer going farther. Or maybe just really, really far.
Here's the essentials to running longer/farther without getting into a specific plan.
More Miles (aka Volume)
Adding more miles each week really assists with running longer/farther. If you are running 1-2 miles a few times a week (4-5 miles a week), running an an extra time a week will help progress.
Generally the advise here is to add 10% a week. But at low volumes, say under 10 miles a week adding the amount of a typical workout is reasonable. Run 3 miles 3 times a week? Do 4 miles each time.
But I can't add, I am tired at the end of my current runs.
Add another workout each week. Make it easy. But, more importantly, slow down and do your runs easier.
Why slower? I know, you want to run fast! Training is not a race, though. It's forcing adaptations which happen during recovery, not the run. You want to break yourself down as little as possible so you are fully recovered for the next run.
The Long Run
You really want to amp things up, add a long run each week. This is a run +30% or more longer than your usual run. Run 3 miles, do 4 or 4.5. Run 5 miles, try 8.
The advice here is that the long run isn't more than half of your weekly mileage, preferably less. Run 9 miles week? That's a 4 mile long run. 20 miles? 7-9 miles.
I personally push for a weekly 20-25 miles a week to allow for a safe 10 mile long run each week.
Intervals
If you just can't go longer or farther, try intervals. Walking or going very slow every 5 minutes or 1K works great. Myself, I like walking hills. Stopping at water fountains. Waiting at crosswalks. These are the small respite I need to push myself further.
Building Up The Endurance
It's important to progress slowly. Add miles or a long run in a week. Then stick to it for a week. Push on the third or fourth week to more miles.
Weekly Check-in
How was your week? First run? Do any races? How's the training going? Complete a C25K week/day? Let us know.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2zQKtvj
No comments:
Post a Comment