Long version: In March 2018 I was depressed (in addition to my longstanding anxiety issues) and decided to follow my therapist and doctor's advice (much to their shock) to start working out regularly. After a couple of months, I had lost a few lbs, and since I was feeling better emotionally, decided that I wanted to lose some more, so I started tracking calories. This worked for a time, but fast-forward to August when my depression returned and it became very difficult for me to keep up with the calorie counting. I still worked out regularly (marrying my activity level to my mental health and not my physical health had really helped me stay on the wagon, both mentally and physically) but I was definitely not making good food choices or being mindful of my calories - when I'm sad I crave calorie dense foods to make me feel better (who is with me?).
Well, in early November I suffered a a major depressive episode. It was a scary time for me, as anyone who has been through the same can understand. There was a week or so of not really eating, then a couple of weeks of eating bc I knew I had to to be able to go to the gym - not because I wanted to (the only food that appealed to me in any way was sugary foods like raisins and chocolate). But now I'm on the mend and feeling actual hunger again.
That said, something is still not quite right. It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally realized - eating doesn't give me joy anymore. I don't get that a hit of whichever neurotransmitter is released when I eat something that I know is super delicious, bc my effed up brain isn't functioning correctly. This makes eating a little less interesting, but ultimately more easy from a nutrient and portion-control standpoint.
TL;DR I weny from depressed and emotionally eating to SUPER depressed and not really eating at all, then back to depressed and easily not eating too much because food can't give me the positive feedback it used to do. So NSV?
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Qm1NCL
No comments:
Post a Comment