Two letters makes all the difference

I have struggled with self control and "will power" most of my life. I'm currently in a job that has a lot of food around. Breakfast pizzas are brought in by vendors, donuts are brought to safety meetings, the owner brings in cookies for the mgmt meetings, etc. Temptations abound. And most of the time, I fail miserably resisting the temptation or failing to limit myself to a sensible portion.

I was meeting with my therapist this week and we got talking about my weight and depression with it. He offered up a comment that I hadn't really thought of before. He offered up two phrases to contemplate.

  • I can't eat donuts
  • I don't eat donuts

Those two statements have a 180 degree difference in meaning and purpose. "Can't" places the burden of fighting temptation on you. One becomes significantly more likely to bargain with yourself to cave and eat the donut. "Don't" is a resolute statement that it is not something you do. There isn't the burden of fighting temptation when I use "Don't". It becomes a statement of fact.

I hope this helps provide a little positive adjustment in your life. I haven't stopped thinking about it since discussing it. I plan to continue this philosophy into greater practice on my journey to get healthy.

submitted by /u/bry-gy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TVyRiT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...