PSA about grocery store calorie counts. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I used to work at a the bakery of a big grocery store chain. I worked there before they started being required to add calorie counts for most of their foods. However, we did have nutritional information available upon request for customers, and it included the calorie counts for a large number of our items. I've been trying to lose weight for years, so I came to know a lot of those calorie counts. One of the more popular cupcakes, which was just a standard cupcake with buttercream frosting, was about 1100 calories. FOR A DAMN CUPCAKE. At the time, I liked incorporating sweets into my diet to keep myself from feeling deprived. But those cupcakes I avoided like the plague unless I was ready to share them with someone. haha

But then we had to start labeling them with calorie counts, and suddenly...what? These cupcakes are being listed as 500 something calories?? 400 calories? Unless sugar and butter just magically started being less calorically dense, those calorie counts are wrong, because the recipes didn't change.

Here's the catch: They're supposed to be two servings. However, the misleading label just says "500 calories." But then again, some of them say they're "700 calories" but the original nutritional information isn't "1400 calories" so...I'm not sure where they're getting their numbers from, to be honest. Not to mention how much extra icing the employees often pile on so they look prettier.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who are maybe beginner calorie counters and/or ignorant of the sheer amount of fat and sugar you can fit into one cupcake. Imagine trying to do the right thing for your needs and allow yourself to incorporate your favorite foods into your diet, only to be unknowingly eating 500 extra calories every time you do. Besides the effect on weight loss, you could be eating something WAY BETTER than those damn cupcakes for 1100 calories. haha I know people who find a way to fit dessert into their diet almost every day. This kind of discrepancy could ruin your weight loss progress! Of course, one could make an argument that you shouldn't be eating a big serving of dessert every day...but hey, CICO. Plus for a lot of people, these habits are just a stepping stone into a healthier lifestyle anyway.

I really don't mean to make anyone paranoid or anything, nor say that you should never indulge in these crazy high calorie foods. But if you see that a cupcake the size of your hand is "only 500 calories," I'd hiiiiiiiiighly recommend a healthy glass of skepticism to go with it. Seeing shit like this is one of the biggest reasons I became informed about the calories in different foods and tried to start putting in the effort of cooking more at home.

submitted by /u/middleout
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2CCIE8Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...