I think I am going to have to avoid social events for a while

I am really struggling with my weight at the minute and my ability to manage my compulsive eating. Whilst I'm not 'massive', I am overweight/obese. I always assumed my overeating was for emotional reasons and to a degree I do think I am an anxious/stress-eater, but I've been paying attention to when I've been overeating recently and here's where I have binged/indulged:

  • on holiday
  • visiting friends and family
  • at my birthday
  • at a friend's birthday
  • going to a food festival
  • going to meet my SO in a bar or a pub
  • meeting someone's girlfriend and going to hers for some drinks and nibbles
  • meeting a friend's boyfriend and going for a beer and food
  • when hungover after all of the above events, for the entire day and usually the day after that too
  • staff night out
  • friend held a games night with some snacks

I literally can't control myself. I've noticed on every one of these occasions I started by planning ahead, meals in MFP, food prepped and in the fridge or oven, I planned ahead and had my dinner before going out. If I am relaxed or trying to become relaxed around people, I just seem to gorge myself. I used to be a massive drinker when I was younger, and whilst I occasionally do drink, I'm starting to wonder if food has replaced alcohol for me in social situations. I do overeat if I am hungover, and I have drank more than usual because I am a teacher and have just had a long summer holiday. I just realised that it's not really eating at home that affects me most, it's being out of my routine and around others, I guess it does still relate to anxiety, social anxiety perhaps. I return to work next week which should both help settle my routine and force me to be too busy to sit and binge, as well as reducing my socialising. I also return to therapy this week and I think I am going to bring this up with my new therapist. I just wanted to type this out for therapeutic reasons and I hope there's someone else out there who can relate and give me their perspective or advice.

submitted by /u/tanvscullen
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2wAj6nt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...