Is Social Media Making Kids (And Adults) Lose The Ability To Think?

Baroness Susan Greenfield, a senior research fellow at Lincoln College, Oxford University, and author of the 2015 book, Mind Change: How Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Mark on Our Brains, says social media may be causing a generation of children to lose their ability to think clearly, and empathize, and communicate. She’s worried that children are experiencing more instant gratification and losing their “inner narrative.”

In an interview with The Telegraph, she says “What I predict is that people are going to be like three-year-olds: emotional, risk-taking, poor social skills, weak self-identity and short attention spans.”

We notice that even adults including us who spend time on social media, whether for work or leisure, find transitioning to other activities can often be challenging.

Search engines alone can cause shifts in thinking.

How many times have we googled a solution to a problem that we could have thought through ourselves? Does this make us lazy? Impatient?

In the following video, Susan Greenfield says that technology, and especially social media, is changing the brain, especially in the areas of cognitive analysis and abstract thought.



from Psych Central Blogs https://ift.tt/2OVAfzG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...