I've only ever been able to have this conversation with my husband since we're following the same lifestyle adjustments. I'd would love the opportunity to see if others think about this at all too!
It seems to me that throughout my life I had always heard that eating healthy was important, but we didn't practice healthy choices growing up, so I had no idea in what ways they would impact me down the road. Before high school I felt absolutely invincible. I could do anything. My grandparents warned that too much candy was bad and my grandma would encourage healthy stuff, but also enabled a bit with treating me to delicious treats.
When high school hit, everything turned to food and it was my only coping mechanism for a lot of chaos to sort through. Mostly, I wasn't ready to handle the idea of life not being predictable. I had to learn it somehow, I suppose. Every time I visited my grandparents for a week I would lose around 10lbs because they only fed me healthy meals and less decadent stuff. They didn't make choices for me, but they always encouraged me to limit or stay away from the junk foods I associated with visiting them, as well as when I returned home. I also struggled with my weight all throughout my time at university, and did the most yo-yoing as I attempted every single fad diet I came across. It wasn't like I didn't try my damnedest every time. I really did. It always felt like it was just setting me up to fail. I wasn't learning sustainable ways to keep my weight under control, it was "quick fixes" to lose weight in a pinch, really. I got really resentful, but kept trying.
After I got married we tried to support each other's weight loss efforts time and again, meeting with the same feelings of not being able to sustain it for the long-term. I was super deflated because I had just fallen off the wagon yet again. I had spent six months attending 1-hr cycle classes 3-4 days a week and logging in around 1300 calories a day and was feeling fit AF, but honestly, I was getting pretty sick of where I had plateaued, around 185lbs. I was still obese, still wearing plus size, still feeling like I didn't like my life when living it like that, so I did the slow fade right back into old habits.
I had a day off so I planned to spend the afternoon crafting and watching Netflix, but ended up watching the same movie twice in a row that suggested a path I had not yet attempted. That whole "eat healthy" thing my grandparents had been spouting for decades. Everything they said to me was what the film explained and I it was like a new light switch had been turned on inside my braintubes that I didn't even know was there. It all made sense.
I had already been making some lifestyle changes before making the BIG one, such giving up soda and limiting a number of foods I considered too junky to justify, like corndogs at the fair. The big one ended up being a complete reinvention of what my day-to-day looks like. I cannot blame old me for not putting in the efforts back then because I wasn't ready to put forth the time and effort it takes to go unprocessed. I had other things going on in my life. I wasn't "ready".
Has anyone else gone through a similar experience?
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2MVNQc2
No comments:
Post a Comment