- does not require refrigeration
- does not require reheating or cooking
- does not require rehydration
- does not require utensils
- can be eaten at any time, even while moving
- leaves no waste, 100% edible
- takes up very little weight and pack space
- not fragile, can be packed tightly without risk of leaks
- high energy density (about 400 kcal/100 g)
- 8:3:1 fat to carb to protein ratio, as shown
This is my typical backpacking and camping snack load out. You may notice that the reason for choosing these particular foods are almost exactly the opposite of what I normally eat at home. Usually, my meals will have a lot of bulk and weight, but relatively few calories. I can rely on having fresh ingredients and a full kitchen at my disposal. But when you're hiking a trail for days (if not weeks) on end, and you have to carry everything on your back, every gram and cc counts!
Cured meats, dried fruit and nuts are staples in a backpacker's pantry. I like to add dark chocolate and cheese to round things out. For longer trips in warm weather, I would use a hard, dry cheese instead (e.g., Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grana Padano, Asiago) although normally firm cheese like cheddar and mozzarella are fine without refrigeration for several days.
Of course, palatability and personal taste factor into the selection as well, otherwise I'd just recommend sipping olive oil and licking lard popsicles as the ultimate solution! I like pepperettes because they come in a convenient size, and I can pack a variety of them. But any cured meat (e.g., sausages, jerky, smoked fish, etc.) will work. Bring them whole rather than pre-sliced so they will keep longer. Same goes for nuts (I love pistachios and macadamias!) and dried fruits (dried mangos, apple rings, banana chips, etc.). Cheese should be kept as whole as possible, and only broken off as you're about to eat. Shelf life is less of a concern if you're just going on a day hike, but keep it in mind if you plan to be out in the bush for several days or weeks.
Portions can be weighed and pre-packaged into Ziploc bags so you can more easily track your energy intake. Depending on the exact mix, I can fit between 1500 and 3000 kcal in a single medium-sized (quart) Ziploc. I don't like feeling full on a hike, but I don't want the distraction of nagging hunger either, so I'll often snack on this stuff throughout the day. I usually find that when dinner time rolls around (I pack dehydrated or freeze-dried meals too), I'm not really that hungry.
I've been doing it this way for several years now, so it was nice not having to give it up and finding a way to fit it into my weight loss regimen!
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2miyGyy
No comments:
Post a Comment