Lessons from 5 years of weight loss

Hi everyone, this is the first time I’ve posted in depth about my journey from socially awkward overweight World of Warcraft addict to extroverted and shredded. I'm 28 years old now, 5'11 and currently around 175 lbs. All in all I've lost somewhere in the range of 120-130 pounds I say this because I didn't start weighing myself until around 200. When losing weight the scale has no place, only use the mirror. I will give you my background then answer any questions you may have. My goal with this post is to share what I've learned throughout the process. Misinformation is everywhere. Here is some background and a link to an album documenting the whole thing.

https://imgur.com/a/NIWQz4Z

Both of my parents have been in amazing shape my entire life, I was too up until 13. The genetics I inherited from them are incredible, but not enough to save me. At 13 I started having several seizures a day, along with being diagnosed with depression that would later develop into type two bipolar disorder around my 19th birthday. The medications I was put on stimulated my appetite for the first time and I began eating anything and everything. My parents never had input on my diet because as I later found out they both struggled with anorexia and bulimia, so they didn’t want me to deal with the same issues. In high school I spent most of my time playing video games, not being active. Eventually I graduated at 193 pounds at 5’11.

College is when the wheels fell off. For the first time I was eating whatever whenever I wanted, this wasn’t the big issue though. From 19 – 23 I was drunk every single night and that is not an exaggeration. My poison was beer, consuming anywhere from 8-10 tallboys a night which is roughly 1750 calories on top of my trash diet. At 23 I topped out. I refused to step on a scale when I was my heaviest, but it was above 293, which is what I weighed when I was hospitalized for high blood pressure. I never bothered to take responsibility because I thought I was doomed to be overweight because of the medications I was taking. They all had the side effect “weight gain” so in my mind I was a victim.

In July of 2013 I was so miserable, I remember thinking how I would rather be dead than this fat. I didn’t know how to change but I knew I had to. As funny as it sounds I first started out using 4chan's /fit/ board for guidance. I cut out all alcohol first, dropping 40 pounds in 4 months. Then fast-food and all liquid calories, eventually I overcame my fear of working out in public. Later on I would become a competitive power lifter in the 94 and again at the 83 weight class. It’s been five years since I was obese and I’m just now feeling comfortable in my skin.

Let me know if you want any more insight into what strategies worked for me as I'm willing to bet I've dealt with a similar issue in the past. Thanks for reading!

submitted by /u/Ktrade214
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2tT7dI9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...