Coming down from 360lbs

I was 360 on June 2nd and am 27lbs down after the first month.

I've been on this journey before, about a decade ago, but family stress and apathy toward my health led me to regain all my weight over the last 5-6 years.

At the start of June my wife pushed me to consider gastric sleeve surgery again. I'd sought advice from a doctor a few years ago so I know what it's about, but decided it wasn't for me and that I could lose the weight if I wanted to. I tried a few times, but I had difficulty getting started.

The wifey was irritated with me about not being willing. So I asked if I start doing hour walks daily and eating healthy, would she lay off the topic of surgery for a while? But she insisted I couldn't lose the weight myself as I've tried before.

Looks like that's what I needed, because I went to the track that night and walked three miles. And the next night, and the next night.

I've also been eating considerably healthier. I finally got back to a mindset of food as fuel rather than pleasure. I'm considering my macros (fat/protein/carbs) and aiming for a ratio that works for me, which has a major impact on what I end up eating.

Surprisingly, I've entered ketosis and found it to be kind of an amazing feeling. So I got some keto test trips to keep track of my "status" every few days. I have more energy, am happier, less hungry, and eating only 1000-1500 calories without feeling hungry for more. I'm not being strict about the macro ratio and probably have 20-40g of carbs per day with at least 50-60% calories from fat.

The middle of the "healthy" BMI range for me is 160lbs so I'm aiming for that, with the expectation that I will rebound by 10-15 lbs and remain in the normal BMI range for my height.

I'm finally through the initial challenge of fighting food craving/addiction and can relatively easily avoid sweets and high carb foods without feeling like I'm depriving myself. Chemically speaking I'm probably getting a similar dose of dopamine from successful weight loss, making positive choices and feeling in control of my body again.

I am looking forward to the next couple of years as I journey to a weight I haven't been since junior high!

submitted by /u/Shermer26
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2z5DnVL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...