What are your sabotaging thoughts and how do you combat them?

Throughout my weight loss journey I've noticed the same thoughts come up over and over again around high-calorie foods. I think we all have thoughts we use to convince ourselves in the momebt to eat things we want, but know we probably should avoid. Learning to recognize these thoughts gives me a chance to pause in the moment and decide if this is REALLY the choice I want to be making, especially considering where those choices have gotten me in the past.

These are some of mine:

Thought: I want to get my money's worth.

Response: That money is gone, it's a sunk cost. I'm not getting a refund for the drink/meal I don't finish. The only question now is if I put those extra calories in my body or not.

Thought: My friend will be sad if I don't have some of this dessert she brought to book club.

Response: She probably won't even notice, and if she does, she probably doesn't care.

Thought: My favorite doughnut shop is in a part of the city that's obnoxious to get to by car (my usual mode of transport). Every time I find myself sort of near it my brain goes "Hey, we're near Stan's! We have no idea when we'll be over here next, we should take this opportunity to indulge!"

Response: Stan's will always be here, I can come back any time. Plan it in advance, save up some calories and it's totally fine, but no opportunity-based doughnut acquisition allowed.

Thought: I don't need to weigh this cheese/peanut butter.

Response: The only reason I could have for not wanting to weigh it is that I'm planning to eat way too much of it. Which means I definitely need to weigh it.

What are your sabotaging thoughts? How do you deal with them?

(Obligatory on mobile, sorry for formatting.)

submitted by /u/AmbroseJackass
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2kMJxjq

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...