Thank God I started when I did

I've been on the weight loss path for eleven months. In that time, I lost 56 pounds, gained muscle definition, used exercise to moderate my anxiety and generally feel happier, I look much better naked, I can wear whatever I want, and I'm much more confident. I even like running!

Then about six weeks ago, one of my feet went numb. Then the other one did. I saw a doctor who noted a mild disk bulge in my back and said it was probably from that. A few weeks later, I started having double vision. Another MRI later confirmed it: I've got multiple sclerosis. The symptoms have receded (thank you Prednisone!) but it's a chronic condition. It's not gonna go away.

That sucks. A lot. I feel like I'd just become true allies with my body, and then this happened. I worked so hard, and now an unpredictable disease might fuck it all up.

But it might not. My doctors were so pleased with my activity level and weight loss. They said that, besides the medication I'll be on for the rest of my life, diet and activity are the best things I can do to help my body. There have been a lot of advancements and there's a good chance I'll live a long, productive life. New research is being done all the time. Who knows what the next ten years will bring! But in the meantime, if I need a cane or crutches in five or ten years, there will be 56 fewer pounds of me to drag around.

I thought I was just doing this for vanity. I thought I was just doing it to be better prepared to be a rockin' parent. I had no idea, but I was doing it to save my life.

If you're on here and you're questioning whether or not you should start, do it. Do it now. You'll thank yourself later. Thank God I started when I did.

Edit: you are all amazing. Thank you so much for the support! This is such a great community.

submitted by /u/HawkGuy1126
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2HHNlLQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...