My mom has been very overweight/obese for pretty much my entire life, or at least 80% of it. She's 5'5" and I would guess probably between 220-250lbs. She is very embarrassed and self-conscious about her weight so she'd never tell me the exact number and would kill me if I asked, lol. She is very self-aware about her weight, and she wants to lose fat and get healthy, but she (imo) lacks the willpower and motivation to actually set a routine and stick to it long term. I think she sees herself as a lost cause deep down, especially since she just turned 59 (sorry mom!) and has been like this for 20+ years.
She used to be much slimmer before she had me. :(
She went for a check up this past year and while she is somewhere in the risk zone for some health issues (I think including diabetes) there are no other immediate major health concerns that we know of. However she's had a long history of health issues in the past, including hepatitis C from a blood transfusion, blood clots, and ulcerative colitis which was cured with surgery.
Her mother died at just 72 of uterine cancer; she was also obese and never went to the doctor, so when she finally did, it was too late for her. Her father died from surgery complications from diabetes at a young age. It's very scary to admit but I can see my mom easily falling down the same path if she doesn't shape up ASAP. I want her to live through her 80s and beyond!
Since her birthday last week, she has made a verbal commitment to losing 50 lbs, I think by the end of the year is her goal. I don't really care about the number as long as she is healthy. And tbh, a verbal commitment doesn't mean much coming from her.
What can I do to keep her motivated and on the right path? She's lost 4 lbs so far. I currently live with my parents, but my mom and I belong to different gyms, which will make it harder for me to hold her accountable. I don't want her to stay complacent because I need her around and she can't keep going like this if she wants to live a long and healthy life.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2lgWjHd
No comments:
Post a Comment