Choose one: weight loss or social life

I can't help but feel like my only option is to isolate myself entirely in order to make strides toward my weight loss goal. I am in my twenties, single. My entire social life revolves around going out to eat and drink with friends. And my friends drink A LOT.

Last night, I went out to watch the basketball game with friends. They ordered pitcher upon pitcher of beer, and continued to fill up my cup without my asking—making many comments when they noticed I was several drinks behind them (I was intentionally drinking very slowly). I acknowledge that it was my choice to actually drink the beer lol. But it feels like the only alternative to this situation would've been watching at home by myself? In my circle, "I'm not drinking tonight" doesn't really fly. Also, I always know we're going to split the bill evenly, and I HATE not getting my money's worth. I know, I know...I need to get past that one.

Today was bottomless brunch. The whole table has to participate in bottomless or nobody is allowed to do it, so it was not up for the debate. Again, concerned about paying for everyone else's bottomless, I figured I might as well partake. This was just a small portion of the day's festivities—from there we went to several more bars, where rounds were ordered for the table. I eventually excused myself and went home, while they're all continuing the party along and planning for a night out of more drinking. Now I'm sitting at home alone, already feeling extreme FOMO as I see them posting all the fun they're having on Instagram. And while I should be feeling the small victory of cutting myself off when I did (normally, I'd still be out drinking), I still feel extremely upset about how much I indulged. Not to mention I'm very hungry and far over my calorie budget...

The worst part is: I don't even enjoy alcohol. I never crave it. Don't particularly like the taste. Not huge on being drunk. I would much, MUCH rather blow this amount of calories on ice cream or pizza, any day of the week.

I'm not notably overweight (around 5'7/145 pounds), but have had body issues for as long as I can remember, and am desperate to lose the ~15 extra pounds I packed on so long ago. I finally started making progress the last couple weeks, tracking calories etc,. but every weekend, I completely lose it.

I know that I don't HAVE to drink, but hate the idea of isolating myself from friends/social events. I'm not getting any younger here! Going out and meeting new people is high on my priority list, on par with losing the weight. And while I don't really like alcohol, it definitely helps when it comes to meeting people and being social.

Thanks to anyone who read this far. I do recognize that I'm in control here, and even reading this back I can see that I have a hard time taking responsibility for my own actions. But I guess I'd love to hear from anyone who's in a similar position and how you're balancing your social life with your fitness goals.

submitted by /u/trynalose1092
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2LDAoVR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...