40lbs down and I have not self-sabotaged for a whole year!

Hello!

This is not my first weight loss attempt, but it has been the longest. I started losing weight last June and initially lost quickly. When this slowed, I didn't give in like I have previously. Attempts in the past have been quick weight losses followed by rapid (and often larger...!) gains.

I took a few breaks due to health issues and an operation. This involved inactivity and a lot of boredom! I only gained three pounds across four months so I felt great about this. I didn't binge eat, stuck to healthy eating and I am getting back into my weight loss again.

Normally, I end up going down the rabbit hole of self-loathing when weight loss slows or if any obstacle comes along but more than the scale moving, I feel great that mentally I have rode out the ups and downs without turning to binge eating or sacking it all off. I am still aways off my goal weight, but being able to stick it out without getting too down is now my biggest source of confidence - not scale movements.

The best things that have helped me are:

  • Trying my best to remain neutral - not getting low if there is a gain or only a small loss, and equally not getting too excited for a big loss. This has helped me stay on track as it has helped me avoid the roller-coaster emotions that lead me into binging and then guilt.

  • Sticking to a new lifestyle rather than a diet with a set goal date - losing 40lbs in a year would have sounded incredibly slow to me before, but this is the biggest and longest lasting weight loss I have had! I have swapped small, manageable things each day and allowed treats, meals etc rather than focusing on an 'all-or-nothing' approach.

  • Doing it for myself and keeping it to myself IRL - This time I am doing it for myself rather than any other temporary motivation. Keeping it to myself has taken a lot of pressure off - I don't have people asking much or 'food policing', and I don't feel like I have failed publicly if things haven't gone to plan or haven't happened as quickly as I had hoped.

Also, any compliments that come my way have been completely unsolicited/people haven't said it because they felt like they needed to. I am rubbish at taking compliments, but it has been lovely to hear when people have randomly noticed progress. Just a simple 'thank you' without getting into too much detail has helped me a lot.

I hope this helps anyone out there who has been up and down as well!

submitted by /u/JumanjiJumper
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ypnPvM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...