Confused about how I had so much success with Whole30

Last August my wife and I did a Whole30. Short primer - you can eat as much as you want, as long as you only eat whole fruits and veggies and meat. No dairy, added sugar of any kind, alcohol, beans, or legumes. No grains. Basically no processed food. A number of seeds are banned. I ate all the potatoes and fruit that I wanted. I ate whenever I was hungry.

So, I ate that way for a month and lost like 15 pounds, and then in the month after, I vaguely tried to stick to it and lost another 10 pounds that next month.

All of this without measuring any food or weighing myself at all. (I weighed myself after the first month).

The thing is, I almost completely lost my appetite by the end of the first month. And here is where I'm confused. Was this psychological? Had I put myself in a trance where I had more control? Or just convinced myself not to eat? Did I get so used to only eating when I had cooked food for myself that nothing triggered my hunger? Or was it physical? Had I conquered food cravings by eating so well? Had my lack of quick carbs changed how my body processed food?

I should be clear. In the past, for my entire life, I have always been hungry. I always joke that I don't have the chemical that would make people feel full. I only stopped eating as an act of will.

Then though, even after the month had ended and I sporadically ate things off the diet, I often found myself waiting to eat until my stomach was actually rumbling. I just couldn't be bothered. And I took a little pride in not being hungry, but it's hard to know if that contributed to my lack of hunger. In any case, it was really wonderful, and I'd love to understand it better.

So... has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does anyone have a scientific understanding of what was happening?

submitted by /u/trashed_culture
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2J0huI0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...