Was inspired by this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/aphsrw/lets_play_a_game_to_help_us_lose_weight
There are some pretty simple tricks that can apply to most anything. I eat the same foods most of the time and use these items to give myself (the illusion of) variety. I hardly ever cook with oil because it's so calorie heavy. I barely use it for roasting.
- SALT: Don't be afraid of salt, especially if you're cooking from scratch. Flavored and smoked salts are the bomb. The Spice & Tea Exchange has some good ones. My favorite is the chili lime sea salt (amazing on salmon and shrimp; Trader Joe's also has a chili lime seasoning, but I haven't tried it). I'm also a big fan of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, which is basically a salt replacement (unless you get the salt free version, which is more of an actual seasoning blend). And don't forget your basic black pepper.
- Dry rubs, spices, and seasoning blends: A great way to add variety to meals without needing calorific ingredients. I have a jerk seasoning blend that I use a lot. I also use smoked paprika on most things. You can also use barbecue dry rubs on things other than barbecue--imagine! Pay attention to the ingredients though, as some may contain sugar. Drop some coins at Penzey and live your best life.
- Fresh herbs! I don't go for the fresh herbs as often as I should, but I've never been disappointed when I have.
- Vinegar: O Olive Oil has an amazing selection of vinegars. My favorites are the citrus champagne, honey apple, and orange blossom. I'm sure there are other fancy flavored vinegars out there as well.
- Soy sauce/tamari: great to add some umami. I love wilting spinach in soy sauce instead of oil (add some mustard, a splash of coconut milk, and thank me later!). There are also umami seasoning blends you can use (Trader Joe's has a dry mushroom seasoning, and Spice & Tea Exchange, linked above, has an umami blend I like)
- Mustard, horseradish, and wasabi: great way to add a little kick and flavor to almost anything. I prefer mustard over ketchup since most commercial versions of the latter are basically sugar water with some tomato paste thrown it.
- Hot sauce: there are sooo many options out there. I've tried a bunch from the Hot Ones video series. My favorite right now is Bravado's Jalapeño and Green Apple hot sauce. I recently tried a passionfruit, mango, and ghost pepper hot sauce at a restaurant (house made) that was AMAZING.
- Garlic: roast it, put it on everything, flourish
These are all very low effort, low calorie tips that I find can elevate pretty much anything I eat.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2N2pomK
No comments:
Post a Comment