TL;DR- mom and sister have been supportive of my weight loss, but all of a sudden their attitudes have changed and they might be crabbier than I originally thought. Pls share similar experiences so I feel less crazy.
So I have been losing weight for just over a year now. (Finding/reading this sub last august is what gave me the kick I needed, so thanks!!). I have felt really lucky because up until recently, my family has been incredibly supportive. However, things have changed, and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.
(For some important context, my mom is pretty small, but has gained a little weight recently and is not feeling her best. My sister has been stick thin for most of her life, and is always told she should model, but has also gained weight over the last year, and tried weight watchers but gave up quickly.)
So I live in a different state then my family, they see me every few months, and I have been steadily losing during this time. At first, my mom and my sister were like HOLY CRAP YOU LOOK AMAZING, and every time I saw them, they would just tell me how proud they were of me. But the more weight I lose, the more their attitude changes. Now it’s “...so you’ve lost more weight?...huh”, “you’re not losing anymore are you?” and, “I can’t believe you have lost more since I saw you last”.
My husband and I were talking, and he thinks I’m basically disrupting the status quo in my family. I’m supposed to be the fat one, my sister is the skinny one, blah blah. They were happy at first because I was getting healthier, but now it feels like they are uncomfortable with my continued success, especially because they are both not happy with their weight right now. Or like I am losing too much weight and should just stay the way they see me.
I know the crab metaphor is a thing, it’s just so weird because they have, up to this point, been SO supportive and happy for me, and now it’s met with complete indifference, and I just don’t know how to handle it. I mean I’m gonna keep doing me, and when we go on a family cruise in November I’m going to look and feel amazing regardless of how they feel, but it’s still strange to me. I’m not expecting a parade every time I lose a pound, but a little enthusiasm couldn’t hurt, right? I guess it just took a little longer for their crabbyness to come out.
Have any of you guys dealt with a 180 like that? I would love to hear that it’s not just me and my weird family.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Bj95A4
No comments:
Post a Comment