As someone who has a tendency to sabotage myself with an "all or nothing" mindset, I've found something that helps a lot with keeping me on track: pick one thing to stick to, no matter what. Even if your diet is shitty and you know you are not gonna go to the gym tonight...do something.

It's kind of a silly mental trick, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to fool your brain. haha I'm the kind of person where, how I start my day can make or break it. E.g. if I go for a run first thing in the morning, 99% of the time the rest of the day goes amazing because I'm walking around like "yes hello i am a healthy goddess i run and eat kale now." Then I have days where I'm so tired and hungry that I scarf down 1000 calories before noon and no amount of my brain screaming "BUT...WEIGHTLOSS!" will convince me not to eat donuts for lunch and fried chicken for dinner.

But now I've picked up a new habit: couch to 5k. It's only 30 minutes, a lot of which is walking (for now), and I only have to do it 3 times a week. I don't have to drive anywhere. Plus I've done it so many times that at this point it's kind of like "ugh fine yeah I'll just bang this out real quick, same old shit." haha So it's pretty easy for me to convince myself to get it done. I find that, on my bad days, having this one consistent thing can kind of stop the spiral before it gets out of control. Or even better, it can put me back in healthy goddess mode, and the rest of the day goes great. It snaps me out of the autopilot I go into when I start sabotaging. It's like, even though I ate a day's worth of calories before 2pm, I still accomplished SOMETHING positive. It's a big fuck you to that silly part of me that thinks weightloss is all or nothing, because clearly it's not if I both ate like shit and exercised. So I really shouldn't eat that fried chicken for dinner.

I don't think it even has to be something as major as starting a new workout program (though any sort of consistent exercise is probably extra good, because yay endorphins). As long as it's something healthy that makes you feel proud of yourself, and something that you find pretty easy to stick to, I reckon it'll work.

It's not perfect, obviously. But it's really helped me, and I hope it'll help someone else too!

submitted by /u/middleout
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2KlOTBm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen struggling w/ weight + no support at home, where the hell do I even start?

So I’m a teenager and I’ve been overweight/obese basically my whole life. And it’s been messing with me pretty bad. For the record, I don’...